When I felt stuck in my career, I yearned to make a difference. My heart ached to do something that mattered. But I had no idea what to do, and any idea I had felt too BIG and too out of reach – so I did nothing. Maybe you can relate.
But since then, I've learned that you can make a difference right here, right now, starting where you are. It doesn't have to be “big” for you to be a change agent.
Last week, I realized how simple being a change agent can be. I spent my birthday doing 43 Acts of Kindness (one for every year of life) and it felt amazing. Here's what we did:
– Wrote a thank you note to our mail carrier who is the BEST and she always gives treats to (our dog) Charlie! – Made 8 PB&J lunch bags with water, fruit and a snack and gave them to homeless people
– Left cupcakes and a note at the fire station
– Made a care package for Houston hurricane survivors
– Dropped off new winter hats and socks at a shelter
– Passed out 20 flowers to people on the street
– Gave nearly 100 free hugs
– The best free hug was with a 14 year old from Miami (pic below) whose family had escaped the hurricane and it was the girl's bday too!
– Bought birthday donuts for the family from Miami
– Posted affirmations in toilet stalls and all over a public market
– Passed out ring pops randomly on the street. Note: Starbucks employees love ring pops!
– Gave thank you notes to cashiers and the deli guy at the supermarket
– Wrote a note of love to my stepson
– Sent flowers to my mom thanking her for birthing me
– Posted appreciation on a few people's FB walls
– Brought sorbet to a sick friend
– Put money in the meter for 10 cars that were expired
-Took Charlie to the park
– Sent lots of prayers to hurricane survivors and people who are discriminated against
– Forgave some grudges I was hanging on to, including toward myself
It's that easy to make a difference. Being a change agent starts with you.
Perhaps you've wanted to be a change agent as your career. Perhaps you're craving making “big” change in your life or in the lives of others.
I get it. Years ago, I craved this too and so I got my Master's degree in Positive Psychology, the science of happiness and human flourishing. Positive Psychology gave me the foundation of knowledge to be a change agent.
If you crave knowledge to become a change agent too, then I invite you to check out the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology program (CAPP). This 6 month training will give you the tools and information you need to immediately become a change agent in your work, community, at home, and globally.
In CAPP, you'll learn:
- How to transform negative thinking into the positive
- How to have a growth mindset for success
- All about your brain to use it to your advantage
- How to use your strengths and teach it to others
- The benefits and applications of mindfulness
- The principles of healthy relationships
- How to uncover your life purpose and help others do the same
- Best practices in goal achievement and changing habits
- The facets of a vital, healthy body
Plus, you'll learn in a community of like-hearted change agents who all want to make a difference. Having graduated 800 change agents globally, I promise in CAPP you'll find your tribe. In fact, it was CAPP's founder who gave me the idea for birthday acts of kindness, so if this resonates, you know you'll fit into CAPP!
Class meets for one weekend monthly and every week online, so you can take CAPP anywhere, even if it's not offered where you live. In fact, I teach CAPP in Miami so I can have warmth all winter long! 🙂 I'd love to have you join me in Miami, or you can join one of 11 other cities this Fall. All the teachers are great!
As a teacher, I also can offer you $150 off, so if CAPP resonates with your heart, then just use this code: carinr27 and you'll get the discount!
And whether you choose to join CAPP or not, remember that being a change agent is easy, and it starts with you. We're all capable of making a big difference in this world.
With so much love,