Happy Leap Day,
You get an extra day this year… what will you do with it? It's an extra day to live fully, an extra day to laugh… an make your dream a reality. So to help you get the most of this day, I've compiled a list of 50 Happy Tips for you. Do one, three or ten today. Or do one a week for the year. Whatever you do, remember – it's your life. Research shows that about 40% of your happiness is in YOUR control. You choose what you do for work, who you are friends with, what your home looks like, whether you exercise, how you eat, and how you think. All of us can learn a growth mindset that leaps us forward toward our dreams. You were born for purpose. You were born to live the full expression of your strengths, talents and joy. You were given every experience of your life for wisdom. We need you living fully. We need you enjoying. We need you living on purpose.
With so much love,
Happy Leap Day,
1. Buy a journal you love and write a letter to yourself that begins “Dear ______(insert your own name), I love you and promise to live fully.”
2. Call a friend you haven't talked to in a long time.
3. Write a gratitude letter to someone who has made a difference in your life and you haven't told them in a long time.
4. Take a slow walk in nature.
5. Spend 5 minutes with someone you love looking into their eyes, reveling in their smile, and capture the moment in your mind forever.
6. Make a “to-do” list task that you hate (like laundry or dishes) into fun by playing your favorite song and dancing while you do it.
7. Watch an inspiring TED Talk like this one called “Before I Die” by Candy Chang.
8. Go to the playground, get on a swing, and play.
9. Look in the mirror, into the beautiful eyes of the person in front of you, and say, “I love you.”
10. On a piece of paper, write a list of 3 things that your brain says “I can't do…” and then on the right side, ask yourself “How can I do…?” and write the new answer.
11. Do something kind for a total stranger.
12. Move your body for 20 minutes – dance, run, do yoga, walk, kickbox. Move. It's good for your heart, your blood, and your brain.
13. Take a long, hot, bubbly bath or shower with spa music playing.
14. Cook a delicious meal from scratch, really savoring the colors of the food, the scents in the kitchen, and the sounds.
15. Apologize for something if you know you were in the wrong.
16. Begin to shed shame and become more openhearted by watching this TED Talk by Brene Brown.
17. Make a date with a friend that you've been wanting to connect with but haven't found time.
18. Give your brain food it loves like walnuts and fish.
19. Write about your childhood dreams and ask yourself what it tells you about yourself. If you wanted to be a fireman, maybe you wanted to protect or serve, if you wanted to be a ballerina, maybe you love to perform. Let yourself play with this.
20. Get wisdom from a child you love. They know what they're talking about.
21. Let yourself brag about something you're proud of, and choose someone to brag to who you KNOW will respond with joy, curiosity, and excitement. (If you want, email me and share with me – I'll brag all over you!)
22. Write a list of 10 things you love about yourself. If you don't have 10, ask friends for help.
23. Write yourself a letter that you will open on March 1, 2017, filled with how you hope to feel, what you want to do, who you hope to become, and what you want to have in your life 1 year from now.
24. Have an ice cream sundae and savor every yummy bite without guilt, but with pure pleasure.
25. Engage in a hobby that makes you lose track of time – painting, reading, ice skating – something that puts you into a state of flow and joy.
26. Learn why happiness matters through a TED Talk like this by Shawn Achor.
27. Make a list of your top values like courage, integrity, or family, and then look at your life and honestly assess if you're living true to them. If not, consider just ONE thing you can do that would be more in alignment.
28. Have an impromptu dance party in the kitchen.
29. Listen to an inspiring podcast like this new one from 2 of my students, Rick & Teresa Starr: Positivity Life.
30. Know your strengths. Take the Values in Action (VIA) Survey of Character Strengths here.
31. Book a retreat to relax and rejuvenate – whether to a resort, yoga, or with me in New Hope (yes, I'm plugging something that will make you happier) :).
32. Read my favorite book by Anna Quindlen “A Short Guide to a Happy Life”
33. Compliment someone.
34. Compliment yourself.
35. Ask yourself, “Who inspires me?” and ask them to talk so that you can learn more about how they got there and how you can, too.
36. Wear an outfit that makes you feel great.
37. Give yourself a break if you don't get everything done or you made a mistake. Be kind and compassionate with yourself as you would be to a child. You have permission to be human.
38. Make a vision board of your dreams. Allow yourself to dream without all the negative self-talk that says you can't do that. You can. You really, really can.
39. Make a list of 10 things/people you're grateful for.
40. Hug a tree. (Yes, I said a tree.)
41. Ask for help and be proud that you asked. Here's an inspiring TED Talk to get you to do so.
42. Break down a goal you have into the teeniest, tiniest step and do that step. For instance, if you want to write a book, the first step is to open the computer or pick up a pen. Do that and celebrate that you took the first step. Your brain loves celebration.
43. Get 8 hugs today. According to Dr. Love, Paul Zak, we need it.
44. Oh – give yourself a hug too.
45. Call a family member and say “I love you” and tell them why.
46. Get a coloring book and draw outside the lines.
47. Wear red lipstick or blue eye shadow or something you wish you would but haven't.
48. Watch a funny movie or video.
49. Take a nap and acknowledge the value of feeling well-rested.
50. Commit to your happiness. You deserve it.
Whatever you do, make this extra day count. Personally, I'm off to hold a 1 Day Activation Session with a client to help her bring her dream and true purpose to life. I can't wait! Please, let me know what you do by replying. I love to hear from you!